Music & Foreign Language Selection Forms
FOREIGN LANGUAGE PROGRAM
What language can I choose to learn in middle school?
Before entering 7th grade, students will select a new language to learn. They will continue studying this language in 8th grade.
- ANYONE can join band and chorus, with or without experience. For 2021-2022, we are inviting beginners!
- In 7th grade, students must participate in a music class.
- In 8th grade, students do not have to take a music class. It is optional.
- In 8th grade, band and chorus are the only music options available.
WHAT MUSIC ENSEMBLES/MUSIC CLASSES CAN I BE A PART OF IN MIDDLE SCHOOL?
- Concert Band: The middle school offers several band choices for instrumental students in grades 6-8. Beginners are welcome for 2021-2022!
- Wind Ensemble: The Wind Ensemble is the select performing instrumental group in the middle school and is open to to students in grades 7 and 8, only. Placement is based on audition and the students’ performance in their previous band. Available for 7th- and 8th-grade students.
- Select Chorus: Select Chorus is the select performing choral group in the middle school and is open to only 7th- and 8th-grade students. Placement is based on audition and the students’ performance in their previous chorus. Available for 7th and 8th graders.
- Chorus: Chorus is open to all students at the middle school who have a desire to sing. No audition is necessary. Available to students in grades 6-8. Beginners are welcome for 2021-2022!
- General Music: Designed for the non-performing students, this is a music appreciation class that involves listening and learning about various styles of music. Students will play recorders and learn to compose music using Chromebooks. Available to 6th- and 7th-grade students.
- Jazz Ensemble: Jazz Ensemble is a club that meets after school. It is open to students in 7th and 8th grade, on any instrument, who are interested in learning to play jazz. Available to 7th- and 8th-grade students.
HOW OFTEN WILL I HAVE MUSIC AT THE MIDDLE SCHOOL?
Music classes at the middle school are scheduled during the school day and meet every-other-day for the entire school year.
CAN I BE IN BOTH BAND AND CHORUS?
Yes! You can take both Band and Chorus, as long as your schedule permits.
WHAT HONOR ENSEMBLES ARE AVAILABLE?
- All County Band/Chorus and Jazz Band: There are opportunities for students to audition for the all-county honor ensembles. Sixth-graders are welcome to audition for the OCMEA Elementary School All-County Band and Chorus. Seventh- and 8th-grade musicians may audition for the OCMEA Junior High All-County Band and Chorus.
- NYSSMA Solo Festival: Both Chorus and Band students can also participate in a Spring NYSSMA solo festival. There is a small registration fee. Musicians will prepare a solo to play for a judge for evaluation. These scores are used for advanced honor ensembles at the high school, and those listed below.
- All County Band/Chorus and Jazz Band: Students with high NYSSMA solo scores may be accepted via application in October into this state-wide ensemble.